Job Title:Student Assistant
Salary/Grade:$11.30 - $12.30 / hr
Hours per week:10-15
Duration of Appointment:12 months
Job Summary:Performs a variety of tasks to assist in daily maintenance of the Miami University Equestrian Center and the horses kept there. Many tasks involve specialized skills.
Essential Duties:Performs a variety of tasks to assist in daily maintenance of the Miami University Equestrian Center and the horses kept there. Many tasks involve specialized skills.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Daily routine cleaning of stalls, and periodic stripping/rebedding of stalls.
2. Feeding (hay, grain) and watering of horses in the barns and fields.
3. Perform routine turnout of horses.
4. Sweeping, dusting, cleaning of all areas, including but not limited to public areas, tack rooms, offices, restrooms.
5. Perform tasks requiring lifting, walking, bending, carrying, climbing, etc. on a daily basis.
6. Grooming of horses, including routine bathing.
7. Routinely applying and removing specialized equipment including but not limited to bell boots, coolers, blankets.
8. Routine raking outside of barns, bedding and manure areas, and in courtyard.
9. Routine cob-webbing of all barns and other areas.
10. Routine watering of potted plants.
11. Assist in moving jumps/dressage ring and maintaining ring organization.
12. Checking pastures, including haying and watering.
13. Perform duties that may require knowledge of and experience with different types of farm machinery, such as driving the Gator.
14. Perform duties which may involve interaction with college students, parents, alumni, and prospective students, requiring a degree of communication skills and professional decorum.
15. Responsible for picking paddocks as needed.
16. Assist in unloading hay trailer and cleaning out horse trailers after use.
17. Open and close Equestrian Center.
18. Perform minor grounds maintenance such as painting or pulling weeds when necessary.
19. Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications:Comfortable around large animals
Good Communication Skills
Current CPR, First Aid, and BBP Certifications or obtain within 30 days of hire
Special Instructions to Applicants:
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected]
or 513-529-3560.As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.