Animal Instincts Australia is a Disability and Mental Health Support Service operating from the outskirts of Toowoomba in Goombungee. We offer Animal and Equine Assisted Learning, Life Skills and Therapy Sessions for clients in individual and small group programs. We also train and assess assistance dogs and therapy dogs. We are a small home based business operating on our 103 acre property. This position is often viewed by outsiders as the 'best job in the world' and the successful candidate will be offered industry appropriate award wages taking into consideration their qualifications and experience. If you have a passion for working with animals and people, and can see the benefit of combining animals into a therapeutic environment or life coaching/life skills capacity, then you could be the right fit for AIA! Candidates will be required to attend a lengthy interview process due to the nature of our business and the complexity & dynamics of what we offer at AIA.
Qualifications & experience
- The ideal candidate will have lengthy experience in Disability and Mental Health with all ages of clients
- The ideal candidate will have qualifications in one or more of the following: Disability; Mental Health; Counselling; Life Coaching; Animal Training; Disability Support Work; Psychosocial Coaching Experience
- Candidates must be able to 'think on the spot' and be flexible in their work, and able to handle challenging behaviours of their clients and adapt quickly to a changing environment
- Candidates MUST have animal handling experience with horses, dogs, small animals, cats, livestock. Candidates must also have animal training experience working with animals in an ethical and positive manner
- Candidates must already have or be willing to obtain - Blue Card, Yellow Card, First Aid Certificate, complete the NDIS Workers Orientation Module, various other disability/coaching/mental health courses
- Candidates must be of a mature mindset and have varied experience in the working industry. Must have done varied self and professional development within themselves and their chosen field so they are able to deliver a professional service to our clients
- Candidates must be able to follow workplace expectations, policies and procedures, and follow direction positively.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Coach & Counsel Clients with Disabilities, Mental Health Challenges, and other diagnoses, usually with NDIS Plans
- Work with animals, train animals and care for animals alongside clients and colleagues
- Run individual one-to-one and small group coaching/counselling sessions in equine/animal assisted learning/therapies
- Understand and read animal body language (small animals, dogs, cats, horses, livestock) and educate clients in this
- Handle animals in their day to day activities
- Have the physical and mental fitness for the job - we operate from a 103 acre farm-like property so physical fitness is essential, and working with clients with varied disabilities and challenges means the candidates mental fitness is a must
- Work with Clients in an Animal/Equine Assisted Learning and Life Skills Capacity
- Complete Client Notes and NDIS Plan Reviews
- Be available 7 days a week as we not only run animal/equine assisted learning but we also offer Short Term Accommodation and Respite which requires employees to do some overnight stays on the property with clients, or weekend shifts.
- This will be a permanent part-time position 20-30 hours per week
- The successful candidate will be offered a 6 month permanent part-time contract with the opportunity to renew their contract for a longer term should they suit our business model and align with our values and ethics
- There may be the opportunity to bring your own animals to the workplace provided the animals pass our temperament testing process
Your application will include the following questions:
- Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- Are you available to travel for this role when required?